Tuesday, April 2, 2013

When winter comes...

Sad time for gardeners is winter. Good for those, who have short winter and long green season. I have long winter and short green season. But I am still found ways how to enjoy every part of it. Just like now. Looking old photos from past year and dreaming about other. I don't add this photo with my back with no reason. Topic is when winter comes. This is symbolic. Last days of warm fall, when I planting seeds and taking care with plants is just that time, when winter want to touch my back.
 
But daylilies still grow outside in winter. Some of seedlings show semi evergreen or evergreen. I went in grandmother garden before big winter holidays and looked at seedling bed, where is no snow. So some of them have green.

That inspire me to wait, and believe, that big, green season is not leave me still. That is nice in only that way. Semi evergreen or evergreen daylilies doesn't feel very good in Lithuania. They need longer vegetation period. So they show green and in winter. Some of them doesn't survive, because of cold. 

But mostly of new daylilies is sev. or ev. So no ways, just grow them and catch which one survive and work with dormancy. All dormant daylilies in my garden live very well and show magic's every year. Grow fast and big. I have not much daylilies, but and from them I can see, which grow better than others. And dormants is the best.

I hope seedlings will be better and doesn't be bad grower.


Easter was with snow, so I don't see any leaves from big snow cover in seedling beds. That is sad. So now wait for spring. I mean real spring, with no snow.
Those seedlings will be hardly, because they started in Lithuanian ground and catch first winter. So maybe they goes in dormant. That is happened one time for me with one variety, which I buy from local grower. It has bloom, and start to show basic evergreen trait, but when comes spring, it goes dormant. Not dead, in real. Sad, that I don't remember where I planted that one. And I don't note which variety did that... Well, will look in my daylily bed when snow goes melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment