Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Special daylilies in my garden

All what I like, is unique plants, which wasn't look the same like others. And I have few daylilies, which is very unique and special for me. I use them in my breeding program and hope to get some special seedlings. Now maybe you say, that every daylily is special. Yes. I agree, but I mean those with very special features. And there is few advices:
 
Raspberry Queen TM. Blooms was very strong and big. But this is not that special feature. The biggest bud count. Is something what I love. This one few year back have 36 buds, and last year have 46. Waiting what this one can show this year.
Raspberry Queen TM scape.
Other unique daylily for me is Dear Moon. I got very tiny fan, and really think, that this one will bloom only next year or later. But after few weeks I see little fan, which look like scape. So I just think, that this is interesting fan. Later it was new fan from which grow first scape. And few years later other one. So from so small fan I got two scapes with 8 buds. That is very nice. But this is still not that point which I love. Color and shape is what I like. First 3 blooms was not normal. Look at photo.
But later, blooms show real beauty. Color was really amazing. Yellow with green marks. And size of bloom is amazing. About 20 cm each. And next year scape grows bigger and give me 20 blooms.
Something what I call special is Vakara Vesma. Latvian hybridizer work. Real treasure for me. Scape is not big, but very strong. Blooms are big and very nice. But the biggest point is that, this one is fragrant. Early in the morning smell was very strong. That keep until afternoon. Then smell still is, but not so strong as before. I am also like form and color of it. Just perfect daylily for breeding.
And the last one, was my biggest headache. I got this from Šiauliai botanical garden with name De Luxe. No information about it. So I wait for blooms and that time, when I can to use it for breeding. Daylily with good characteristic, but with no information about ploidy. So I try to cross it with tetraploids  - no results. So then with diploids. No results too. So make me really mad and think why it not dip and tet. So only few months back I contacted this daylily hybridizer and ask what ploidy this have. And he say, that is good fertile tetraploid. I don't think so, that this one is fertile. No pollen and pod crosses at all. Well, this year try only with tet's and look if any of this make.
 
So this is some of my special daylilies, which is very important and special for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment