Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sowing and growing daylilies from seeds

For me every time, spend in garden is special. Because every my move and work give a lot of joy, and one day something special. Like amazing seedlings, which you seen before.
There is few photos of how I worked in my grandmother garden last fall. Planting seeds and replanting years old seedlings.
 
I mostly like to sow seeds in ground by fall. This is easy and doesn't expensive. I mean not like growing inside by winter. Result is still the same, if you grow like me. So I plant them in ground before big frosts. Seeds spend about week before it. That is good, because they don't freeze very fast.

Last year I planted the same size bed like year before. Just now more iris seeds than before. As I say, for daylilies past year was very bad, so not much seeds. But for irises very good. This is how it looks. All with labels and after sowing I note each cross in my note book. Just a little map and I am safe.

I have  great opportunity to sow seeds in fall, which I got from Nina Waters. She share some seeds with me, and I wish to see a lot good seedlings, growing from that.

This is contrast with two beds. First one look just the same years ago. Now you can see how big daylilies grow. I give them very much fertilizer and sowed in the best soil as I can give for them. 
 I cover them because cats love to dig my grandmother garden. So I protect seeds from them. And before that I replanted other seedlings. I see, they need more space and seen, they grow very well. Few of them have 4 fans. So wait for blooms this year. In this green seedling bed is some very special seedlings from seeds which I got from AHS international seed bank and most amazing from William Marchant. Who donate me seeds this year again. So I have great gene poll to work with in future.
I visit my grandmother to late. She say, that one of those seedlings bloomed. That is true. When I go in her garden to look, I saw unbloomed seedling. She said, that is not very nice, but for me it is good. This bloomed 10 months from sowing. That is amazing, and make me thought, that I don't grow seedlings inside. Not only for that, this is expensive, but because I got the same result as growing outside.

Just take a look how strong they look like.

One bed with irises and other two with daylilies in back of big seedling beds.
Just wait for great blooms.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Ed. Interesting to see your garden. Hope you have a great bloom season. Hmmmm that we all have a great bloom season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. I am happy, that you like to see my garden and enjoy this post. It is just a beginning. I will post and more soon. Even there is coming big and green season. Live for gardeners.

      Delete