Friday, August 2, 2013

Working hard this summer

Hey for all who visit my blog,
This time I can relax for few days and then work more. All July I work with daylilies in grandmother garden and now, when I go home, there I can to organise my irises, sell extra ones and replant. Small ones grow very fast.
Every day I feel so great. This working in garden and always surounded with flowers and amazing gardens. Today I went in Šiauliai botanical garden. That garden is one of the best in Lithuania. It is small, but very cosy and well organised. Personal is very nice and always help to ID the plants. And as always they get some to take with myself. But about them I will write in other blog.
This time I talk only about work with seedling beds in grandmother garden.
This is one of finest photo taken in planting progress. Love the looks.
And there is start of my journey. In June 24, I go to grandmother garden and found this. She asked to plug the field of grass. But still I need to dig all this to remove all grass. That was work for few days.
Then I make the shapes of beds.
When I done with that I take very much compost and cow manure. That keeps seedlings very strong. And then no fertilizer needed.
This is how my seedling field looks like. In the same process I work with rock hill garden. I make it bigger, because plants in older one grow so fast and need more space. So there you see a half with plants and other part without them. When I remove all grass off, then I asked for neighbours to go to get some rocks for it. So we take so much, that the number of them was two times more than I used to older.
And there you see how it looks now. In first plan is seedling bed too, but organised as flower bed. Those shrubs are my seedlings of magnolia. They are only 3 years old, but they are big. There also are some botanical iris seedlings, they are two years old. Some other seedlings and this bed is filled with my work from seeds. I covered seedlings with cut grass to keep weeds out when I was in my home garden and can't go there to clean beds.
There is my work close to the end. When I make all beds clean, then I found that I have one more seedling bed needed to replant, so I dig more grass off and make one bed with magnolia seedlings and other my own seedlings of daylilies by 2012 crosses. I try to make one seedling bed, but that was big. Not much crosses, many from each. One of cross, from one pod produce me over 50 seedlings. Nice. All seeds sprouted and growing well.
And this is it. My seedling beds done. All planted, covered with grass mulch and then enjoy the work of all month in there. Now grandmother garden is heaven for me. So much hopes in there. I try to make and some named beds. One is by Claudia Conway seeds, other by Mick Morry, one of William Marchang and then my own iris seedling beds then a half of bed was with Loic Tasquier seedlings. So there is all hopes for my future.
So how do you like me work fo this summer? I think I done everything fine and will get the best results in future.
Enough for now. Planning to write some more blogs with blooms of named varieties and seedlings.

2 comments:

  1. Ed you have done a remarkable job this summer at your Grandmother's Garden! Wish you could have been here to do mine as then I might have more done by now! "Grandmother's Garden is tremendous and the Rockery is such a work of love! Your Grandmother must be very well pleased with it and with you! You have done very well for yourself and your garden! I'm proud and pleased to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I do all what I want and can. I am so happy that my health let me do so much works in grandmother garden. Now, when I go home, headache come back and I feel bad. I think this is because of bad city smog.

    ReplyDelete