Thursday, July 9, 2015

Daylilies in extreme dry season

This season for gardening is extremely hard for us, in Lithuania. We have early, but cold spring. Everything emerged from ground, but started to grow normally just in June. Other bad thing is rain. We doesn't have it for a long time. Garden was dry like desert. Even I watered it with hose, but still hot days dry everything in seconds. But still I have some nice blooms to show for you all.
Before I start to show these blooms, I enjoy and breed, I want to apologize for no posts for a long time. University just kept me busy. It was harder than anything I can imagine. So took my all time. During free time I enjoy gardening, water it and weed.
Also, had some big plans for my garden as experimental field for landscape architecture studies. In study projects I used some great literature books with Piet Oudolf designed gardens and public places with tons of grasses and other herbaceous plants. So I wanted to express what is in my head with several Dutch wave beds. I ordered 1029 plants to make it come true. And planted them all in two evenings after studies by my own. It was fun. Get to know numbers and understand how they look later. As it is dry, I've lost some of these cute little plants, but that is natural for any planting. Lost is usual for me. Unusual soil, weather surprises make it
harder for my budget.
 You might think it is planted too close. I knew, that some not survive, also have plans to redone big flower bed. Already started move some lawn to make it bigger. I noticed, that this new garden is no longer that big, because I still have a lot of plants to put in right place, but space is limited. Hard to imagine how fast I filled my new garden spaces. Soon I start to change something and make it plant heaven as I had in past garden. With small place and tons of plants.

And start with daylilies. As topic of today. And my beginning of story starts from spring, when I moved ALL DAYLILIES TO NEW GARDEN. I am still counting how much I moved, planted. Still mapping daylily beds and counting. I will inform numbers in autumn (if not forgot). In following photo you can see almost all daylily beds, all daylily zone in my long garden. Maybe from photo you can notice, that my garden is slim and long. That is serious task for landscape architecture not to look so long. So I am experimenting with various combinations of planting, and creating areas.

 
And now, glorious show of colors, shapes and forms. You can notice my new gift from parents (phone with extreme good camera), so all photos look ten times better than before. So enjoy.
[All names are under each photo. Seedlings are mine, if not, I noted from where I got seeds]
Texas Sunlight x Chief Four Fingers - Seeds from AHS International Seed Bank
 
Forestlake Ragamuffin x Spacecoast Devil's Disciple - Seeds from AHS International Seed Bank
 
Leslie Renee-1 x Italian Kaleidoscope - Seeds from Claudia Conway
 
Moonshiner x Simple Okulfrapa - Seeds from Izidor Golob
 
Lee Reinke x Jerry's Whirligig - Seeds from AHS International Seed Bank
 
Dear Moon x New Style
 
Dear Moon x New Style
 
Dear Moon x Night Beacon
 
Mitsu x Dear Moon
 
Dear Moon x Night Beacon
 
Magic of Oz seedling from AHS International Seed Bank
 
Bičių Duonelė  100% double (Gift from my first teacher of breeding and first mentor - Jonas Auksuolis Liutkevičius)
 
Mitsu x Noght Beacon
 
Mitsu x Night Beacon
 
Mitsu x Night Beacon
 
Fiji-2 × Italian Kaleidoscope - Seeds from Claudia Conway
 
'Asterisk' (Lambert 1985)
 
'Wild One' (Wild 1973)
 
Dear Moon x New Style
 
Mitsu x New Style
 
Night Beacon x Dj Leo
 
Night Beacon x Dj Leo
Dear Moon x Night Beacon
 
Dear Moon x Night Beacon
 
Unknown red daylily
 
'Watchyl Dancing Spider' (Kreger 1994)
 
'Telltale Heart' (Doorakian 2006) - parent for almost all DIPLOID daylily crosses. That is powerful parent for me this season.
 
Mitsu x Night Beacon
 
Mitsu x New Style
 
Border Music x It's a Miracle - Seeds from Claudia Conway
 
Night Beacon x Dj Leo - Poly for over 75% of blooms
 
Karamelė (J. A. Liutkevičius) - Lithuanian daylily. Sadly, not registered.


That is all for this time. I do like writing about my garden, because someone care about this and that is so great. Blog is to keep my diary, but also to show what my life is. I hope next posts will amaze you, because I am going to visit STATES. Yes, America, here I come.

1 comment:

  1. Your seedling beds look beautiful; a lot of work! I hope you continue to get lots of exciting new blooms.

    ReplyDelete