Friday, October 11, 2013

More daylilies I have, more problem I can show.

Hello,
 
Now I will write a little different than normal. All summer I have a plan to write a blog with question and wait for answer. As I know that my blog read all kind of people from simple to very respectful daylily hybridizers/professionals. In comment box I want to see the answers of question which I write.
As I grow daylilies in Lithuania, maybe I have some other problems (not hardy now), but bloom spots. This summer I seen that I have very much blooms with spots and that is my one headache of this year. I try to found some information in books, or articles, but nothing found. So I ask for professionals in this field. What cause this, how to protect from it and does it have any genetically variation or just because of weather conditions or soil?
I give few photos as examples how they look. These are not all. I took just few of them and others just cut off when I seen that I have them, because visitors won't want to see blooms who not like normal.
 
Big Red Vagon. In all season I have seen only one perfect in color bloom. This one is close to perfect, but still have some spots.

Bass Gibson x unknown. This one show me all different blooms. Others look nice and this one not.

Lacy Dusk x Get'R done. It is almost perfect, but still few spots

Paint the Rose Red. One of most complicated variety I have. All blooms looks like this or worse.

AHS-15. The worst seedling of year. All blooms look like this. My grandmother say that this is new variety type because I have all blooms with spots. I hope she just laugh.

Bass Gibson x unknown. The same seedling as I post few photos up.

Startle. I grow this variety for 3 years and never seen normal bloom. Just this day, when I took that photo it looks absolutely not like Startle. I think this is the worst daylily variety I grow.

AHS-15. The same seedling (I can't drag it close to other, sorry for problems)
 
Fizziwig. This variety is very unusual because it have stippled blooms, but it has spots also and make that variety look not very nice.
 
So this is my topic which I want to get know better and teach Lithuanians and get better blooms next year.
Wait for answers.
 
Bye,
Edvinas

3 comments:

  1. Looks like either water damage done the night before opening, or thrips. . Thrips are an insect that is very tiny and looks like this-!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mick and I both agree it has most to do with cold overnight temperatures and moistures on the buds before opening. Mick and I have seen that occasionally here -- but anytime the overnights is bad you will see this. I seriously doubt it is thrips which aren't here in our environment -- they are a warmer climate pest -- and I doubt they would be in yours too.

    Lanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed, I see these flaws most often on new to my garden plants blooming for the first time in a new location, although these abnormalities generally correct themselves in their first season, Another cause is, as others have said, water damage. Water damage isn't caused only by rain; heavy dew will do it, especially on nocturnal blooms when dew falls in the evening. Early morning openers also seem to be susceptible. Best thing you can do about it is not crowd the plants together and avoid planting in a low area if possible.

    The next and usually worst case senario is when it is cause by thrips or another insect that feeds on blooms in the same manner. I use an oil soap (horticultural grade), dishwashing liquid and water in a spray bottle. Coat the buds thoroughly and also the ground around the plant and the females will drop to the ground to mate and lay their eggs in the soil. For the life of me I can not remember the "recipe", Mark may or any number of other followers of your Blog.

    ReplyDelete