Thursday, May 30, 2013

Amazing bonus from FloydCoveNursery - Cherry Ice Cream Smile


 

Today, 2013 05 29, I went in Vilnius (capital of Lithuania) to send my science project to Europe. But before I went, in garden I make a opening bud picture. That was magical moment, which I missed. But still see the bud, and when I back see the flower. What is amaze me is that two sepals hold one petal. Normally I have seen, that one sepal cover one petal, but this is not. So in that moment I though, that bloom must be very big. And when I back, I was really shocked. The bloom was very nice. Even not normal sepals, but still love it a lot. Enjoy photos of variety - CHERRY ICE CREAM SMILE, by Pierce 2012.
 
The next bloom. And it looks much more better. Love this.

2 comments:

  1. Edvinas, Sometimes when the petal are quite wide they will over-lap quite a lot before the bud opens and it will give the appearance of one sepal covering two petals, which, of course, it is doing, each sepal will "cup" two petals where they cross over their neighboring petal.

    It is this same physical placement of petals within the bud that can cause heavily ruffled varieties to become "hung-up" and not open properly if the temps are too cool.

    As for these first blooms not being perfect, no worries as if there are enough buds they will eventually open correctly. Next season you will see this varieties true self. Remember it is having to adjust to a new growing environment, renew it's root system and become established in it's new location. It might even be beneficial to remove this scape before it blooms out completely (it will continue to open buds while in a vase of water!)

    Am I seeing pollen on the pistol in the last image? Did you "self" this bloom? Be careful doing this with newly planted DLs; remember seed pods put a heavy strain on the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This scape is from dead fan. It mean, only scape from ground. Other fan is close. And yes, I try to make self cross, just in late. Next bloom I will collect pollens and freeze them. I am still love this and want to see other bloom as soon as it make it open :)

    ReplyDelete