Friday, April 22, 2016

Winter vacation in Cyprus

  I was gone for awhile. Because I worked with my studies, projects and planned my trip to Cyprus. My biggest joy is travel and see as much as I can. Gardening and hybridizing is always number 1. But in winter I paint on silk or other medias and this winter get opportunity to see new lands. Cyprus is place to visit for each. Even we go in winter time and mostly of plants was still sleeping or just started to grow, I saw enough for first introduction.
Photo from flight Manchester NH - Detroit USA 2015

Our first stop from airport in Cyprus was Larnaca Salt Lake. To be clear, Cyprus doesn't have clear water. And no rivers, that have water all season. Have two salt lakes and we visited both. My main reason was to see famous black flamingo. I saw one, lonely black flamingo. As later I discover, there could be other species of flamingo. But I see no problem in that. I still had some fun in all.
 Center of Larnaca. Close to Mediterranean sea.
There is great mixture of older architecture and modern square. These banana looking benches are great example of post-modern type city square. And give some attraction and movement because they where arranged in different angles. So that is well designed for sitting and even laying and enjoy sunshine. Get my first burn on nose even after half of hour.


Chrysochou bay. One of the most special place to visit if you went to Cyprus. Clear crystal blue water there is almost every day. We went on windy day, so it wasn't that clear. So we went on tour by ourselves and explore nature. My main goal was to found as much different plants as I can and relax after studies. Perfect place for both. After interesting Aphrodite's Botanical garden and bath's of Aphrodite we headed to country road to look for beach. Some group members more prefer that kind of vacation. I didn't go fast with them and went in middle of road to beach and stay in rocky spot, where waves hit rocks and make wonderful and powerful show. There I have my lunch and best time with my camera. Play with different angles, settings and places. Here is one of the best pictures for you all.


We went to Cyprus in non-tourism time. So all famous locations where closed and mostly of souvenir shops where closed. Bars and other nice place to sit and have drink where far away from our hotel. So we simply went by beach and look what what we can see around. Perfect way to explore local living.

And some heavy rains where only in mountain area. We didn't get a drop. Those fancy palms cover all abandoned land. From this angle I get perfect and festive view with some blurred rainbow.

I do not want to show all, because this is off-topic from my stories of gardening. But I can show more single plants that bloomed in first days of February.

 Orchis collina
 Anchusa aegyptiaca
 Anemone coronaria
 Arisarum vulgare
 Bellevalia nivalis
 Cyclamen persicum
 Echinops spinosissimus subsp. bithynicus
 Mandragora officinarum
 Muscari inconstrictum
 Narcissus tazetta
 Oxalis pes-caprae
 Romulea tempskyana
 Tragopogon sinuatus
Trifolium subterraneum subsp. subterraneum

That is all from me now. Sorry for a long delay and no posts.
Done with winter vacation memories and already started to write post about 3 projects in my garden. But that will take a lot of time, as they are 3 and very different. And still in process.

Best wishes,
Edvinas

No comments:

Post a Comment