Friday, August 28, 2015

Prudential Center. Boston

One very hot day with Claudia Conway we planned our visit to Boston, Massachusetts. Our main point was green places. And a big part of Emerald Necklace was on our route. But this time I write about other point of visit. Prudential Center. We went on top of it. But I want to write not about that powerful view from the top of this huge building, but about small green space surrounded with buildings. A total urban space turn to natural area for relaxation. Simple ideas and boom. You have a nice area to relax and calm.
Garden in very busy city is fancy. You can not see people on photos, who sit on grass and eat, or just relax in lunch break, because I do not wanted to disturb their relaxation time. Place is healing, because of green and simple colors. Not a luxurious English garden style, so you can feel simple breeze in all ornamental grasses and herbaceous perennials. I like the way they mix them. It's very similar to Dutch wave or mixture of it with something else. Also, what surprise me all visit time - daylilies. I saw them in every garden and park with flower beds. So that give me good inspiration of how to use them in landscaping.
As this garden/park is surrounded with buildings, all city noises is covered. And fountain made a feeling like you are not in center of Boston.
Wave of echinacea. I can imagine if they release any butterflies here, this could be a magical park also. But in all, it look very nice. Big masse of them perform better than several mixed with several other plants. Sometimes less is more.
I liked, that they not cut the old blooms. So that make an extra room for wild life and more natural view. I am not sure for how long they keep them.
Even this fountain is complex with other one, and make a big water feature. Sadly during my visit here, the main fountain was under construction. So I can just imagine all flow and sounds they make together.
Simple ideas make a nice view even in complicated spaces. Landscape architect who made this is true expert, because I felt every detail is necessary and look nice. Nothing look alien in this garden. Blend of urban and natural is very nice. Contrast and simplicity is powerful weapons for landscape architects.
I get enough inspiration to work in my garden. I creating iris circle project more seriously, planning main perennial bed and thinking about some daylilies for landscaping. Some people here notice, that they look good just in English style gardens, but I notice, that specific type of them can fit in any style.

No comments:

Post a Comment