Friday, August 28, 2015

Isles of Shoals. Appledore Island

Remembering my visit to States I start to post some memories from best vacations in my life. Shortly I write about some important places I visited in States. And now I write about most impressive trip. I have seen Atlantic ocean for the first time in my life. Well, during this visit I do a lot things first time in my life. Eat turkey, drive in car with top down, went to AHS daylily exhibition and so on.
But this first time was something huge. It was powerful. To stay in small boat and go to never ending ocean. Where you can go through horizon for several times.
With Claudia Conway we planned this trip a way before my departure to States. So I knew that this day will be planned for something special. We pick a special Celia Thaxter's Garden Tour.
We went to Judd Gregg Marine Research Complex, New Castle, NH, where have to wait for all tour participants and go to life-time trip. As we where a way too early, so we decided to explore surrounding places. Capture some nice pictures of boats and try to recognize plants, that grow on rocks there.
Later we went to other site of research complex to see a better view of ocean. That was a calm morning. Even already hot, but that doesn't make it worse. Just make me feel a power of view.
As there was still some time left we went to Hotel Wentworth with wonderful flower beds. Very nice way to make this hotel area more special. Lightly beds with perennials make a feelings, that I am not in States. Not in any other part of the world. It is garden, with no borders and identity of place. So that keep me up for this accidental short walk around hotel.
I capture a lot nice pictures from that place. When gardener do it's job, from every side it look nice.
And after all, before we went to trip I wanted to capture a house garden. It is front garden. And made very nice. My lector say, that he never seen a nice rock garden. So found a small part to note as a nice example of it.
And after all small sightseeing tours by ourselves we went to group meeting place. Get duck tape with our names on to glue on our t-shirts. That was fun, because some people doesn't want that to glue on T-Shirts. So tape on hat and look a little bit strange then. Oh well. Their choice to look silly.
10 km in ocean to reach island. That is not that bad. Perfect time to enjoy it and not get bored.
 And finally we saw island. Wondered which is that one, because Isles of Shoals has 9 islands and one of them is Appledore, which is our main island of the day. There was a huge hotel built in 1847, which attracted a lot of people to this island. And close to that hotel was Celia Thaxter house with garden. Sadly in 1914 hotel was lost to fire. So now we can expect to see just garden, Island still operating station of the Shoals Marine Laboratory.
33 tour participants where transported to Appledore Island aboard the Gulf Challanger. It was a nice way to enjoy ocean views and without worries reach main point of the day.
Vines goes on terrace when house was. So now I can just imagine the way of how great it looks like.
Invasive specie of this asclepias is in all fields of New Hampshire and even on this Island.
Those beds is very special, even with simple plants. But when you notice, that you are in ocean, where is not the best way to gardening.
Love the way garden is orientated. I can imagine the view from her room to ocean. So relaxing. And I got in touch with very interesting annual. Didiscus. It has very blue blooms, but very creative seed heads. These make it very special.
Centaurea cyanus in bloom posing for me.
All garden has raised beds and mostly of plants is annual. Few perennials, several biennials and few vines.
Sweet pea in garden. Loved photo of this. So clear and nice. Delicate and simple.
Photography of hotel. It was huge as I see. Sadly all was gone to ashes...
Celia's Thaxter house photography. In front is her famous garden, which is recreated every year and open for visits on special tours. I know that they are planning to rebuild terrace of this house. So one step to history. Maybe one day they will be able to rebuild all house and a part of hotel. It is nice place and bright history.
Lots of plants taking their place and turn to invasive. It is hard to tell which specie is alien in there, because water can take all variety of plant seeds to this land of wonders.
And tour ended with short trip around Star Island and several others. It was so nice.
Horizon of Atlantic ocean.

I would like to say thanks for Claudia Conway for taking me to this place and be with me. And Marie Updike for funds to get on this tour. I spent your money really well. I am very happy for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment